|Caution! Super addictive florentines!|
|Flexiliner that is worth the every £ pound|
As an engineer, I used to tell my customers to use the right tool for the right job.
While accompanying my girl to London, I zeroed in to Nesbit, a kitchen appliance store in Shaftesbury for a bit of shopping. I was about to buy the French made Silpat until my eyes caught its slimmer cousin on the lower shelves.
This version is thinner which means it can be customized for pans of different shapes and sizes with a penknife. The French Siplat has a higher temperatutre rating, is much pricier and comes with a nice border, a waste if I should trim it to size.
My 1st project with these flexiliners was to make these wafer thin Florentine cookies. It has always been a bugbear, having my Florentines stick to the parchment paper. More often than not, I end up with cellulose rich Florentines.
The cookies in the powder uncooked form has some kind of ‘staying’ ability on the flexiliner and do not shift as they make their way to the oven. And yes, as promised, the wafer thin cookies can be lifted off the liner just like that.
This marks the end of paper-enriched Florentines and many crispy ones to come in 2015.
What a great start for the new year!
Makes 2 trays of cookies.
200g of Florentine powder
20g of sesame seeds, white
10g of sesame seeds, black
100g flaked almonds
100g sunflower seeds
- Line the 2 trays with flexiliners, cut to size.
- Preheat the oven to 180C, with 2 trays , one above the other.
- Add the above ingredients in a pot. Mix well.
- Divide to 2 portions and transfer each portion to each tray.
- Flatten out using a pastry scrapper.
- Bake placing one tray above the other at 180C for 7-8 minutes
- If baking only a single tray, bake at 180C for 6-7 minutes.
- Remove the tray. While the Florentine is still hot and semi-liquid, cut out portions using a pastry scrapper. Do not use a sharp knife!
- Cool for 5 minutes.
- Lift up each wafer and admire its crispiness.
- Store in an airtight container. Chill if the cookies are not consumed immediately.