Search This Blog

Thursday, February 8, 2024

30 hours fermentation whole rye bread (No Knead)


I have put off baking for quite a while since I moved to a smaller place. It was a choice of view or space and I chose view. I had forgotten how I loved to bake.

Recently I read Exodus 12 where the Hebrews were told to bake bread without yeast and the baker in me got all fired up. Following that was 2 failed attempts at growing my sourdough starter with artisan bread flour. 

But good old fashioned instant yeast saved me from a baking depression. The first no-knead bread was a successful loaf baked after it was fermented in the fridge for 24 hours. Friends loved the open sourdough texture.

To take another notch up, I bought a medium sized black non-stick pullman. Artisanal shape was not good for hubby's sandwich thus my third pullman in the house. That's a lot for a 2-person household but I am not regretting it.

Since hubby loves rye, I got down to making this. I got this 48 hour recipe from my go-to kingaurthurbaking site. But climate here is warmer so the bread was baked in my fancy black pullman at the 30th hour mark. It was either that or an invasion of a giant dough crawling out of the pan.

The result was excellent. The bread is light, easy to slice (with another shiny bread knife from Phoon Huat for just SGD$3) with a thin crust with closed texture.  Oh, the mist spray bottle costs just as much!

So here goes! 

Credit here with modifications

Makes a medium loaf.

Ingredients:

  • 280g King Arthur Flour (Artisan)
  • 160g wholemeal rye (Phoon Huat)
  • 40g dry milk powder
  • 1.5 tsp pink salt
  • 1.5 tsp instant yeast
  • 2 Tbsp canola oil
  • 340g water (lukewarm. Mine was 37 C)

Method:

  1. In a large bowl, mix all the dry ingredients.
  2. Add oil and water.
  3. Stir until no dry bits are left. Some effort is needed as dough thickens.
  4. Cover and leave it to ferment for 2 hours outside.
  5. Cover with oiled sheet. Send it to the fridge for 24 hours, covered.
  6. At the end of the 24 hours, bring out the dough to warm up. It will start to rise again
  7. Grease and dust the pullman if using.
  8. Lightly dust a worktop. Work on the dough and fold like a letter. 
  9. Transfer the dough to the prepared pullman to continue rising, fold edges facing down.
  10. While waiting for dough to rise, preheat the oven to 230C.
  11. When dough is 2 cm from the surface of the pan, mist and score the dough. I prefer to score then mist.
  12. Cover with the pullman cover if so wished. Remember to grease the inside of the cover. Alternatively, bake uncovered.
  13. Bake covered at 230C for 25 minutes. Remove the cover and bake for another 10 minutes.
  14. If the bread is baked uncovered, bake at 200C for 4 minute. 
  15. Remvoe the bread and cool it on the rack.

When totally cool, slice. 

Remarks : the bread has potential to rise more so a standard pullman may be good for a more open texture.



No comments:

Post a Comment