Search This Blog

Friday, October 1, 2010

Vegetarian fried rice




This one is for my sister.

She is now trying to live a life  without any domestic help. Cooking meals have been  daunting because there are  so many people in the household. If it were me, I would go for  a  BIG dinner and use its leftovers, especially the rice, for fried rice the next day.  Working by themes ( vegetarian or carnivorous ) or colors ( orange : carrots, pumpkin or green : peas, asparagus or red : wolfberry, red peppers ) , it will keep the family guessing the fried rice of the day.

Since I can't make up my mind how I would like to present my fried rice , I went for   a riot of colors and texture. The rice is a pretty brown-red accented by red wolfberries, sweet orange peppers, snap peas and french beans for crunch. For undertones, toss the rice with crispy garlic fried in olive oil.

 Followed  by a simple pot of yong tofu from premade tofu and pepper fish puffs and FooChow fish balls, dinner can be simple but still a feast for the eye.

For a bit more sophistication, top it up with roasted pine nuts and chopped red dates.

No comments:

Post a Comment