- Mix dry ingredients in a big bowl. In a measuring cup, combine water and oil.
- Pour liquid onto the dry ingredients, stirring vigorously with a fork.
- When the flour is brought together into a ball, transfer to a floured worktop.
- Knead and 'throw' the dough for about 5 minutes. Dough should be smooth and elastic.
- Divide dough into 4 portions.
- Shape to rounds and dredge in flour until ready for use.
- To shape tortilla, roll ball on floured surface with a rolling pin. For best effect, do not roll beyond the edge of the tortilla.
- Roll until tortilla is about 7 inches or 1 hand span. Do not roll it too thin and it may turn out too crispy.
- On an ungreased pan heated to medium high heat, pan fry each side of the tortilla for slightly less than 1 minute.
- Set aside to cool, with all tortillas stacked together and covered with a tea towel, to retain moisture.
|Girl-girl and her blank look|
|Eating leftovers need not be boring|
I needed fast food fast. Preferably, so fast that I do not have to leave the comfortable confines of the house. Not while it registers 33C even in the shade.
A little scavenging in the pantry and ( horrors ! ) with scant ingredients unveiled , it would have to be tortillas. Might as well as it spares me any lengthy baking - in this miserable, head splitting August heat.
If you are like me with desire to make something edible in 30 minutes, this would have to be it. Just throw in leftovers on the wrap and you are good to go !
Makes 4 medium tortillas.
1/2 cup plain flour
1/2 cup atta or whole wheat flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/3 cup warm water