Search This Blog

Friday, October 21, 2011

Kuih Tutu

'Deep dish' Tutu gives me more of the good stuff

My girl loves this, but I have boycotted all the kuih tutu sellers since the exorbitant price increase a year ago.

Imagine her joy when she learnt that I would be trying this recipe. I used mini pie tins, which she approved, because the deeper the mould ( to hold all the yummy bits ) the better.

If there was any part that I did not enjoy doing, it would be pressing the wet flour through the sieve. The original recipe called for too much water, which caused a soggy clump of flour. I remedied it by adding more rice flour and pulsing it in a processor to 'revive' coarse crumbs. To add insult to injury, I had flour everywhere struggling to push it through the sieve. I almost gave up and took photos of a near disaster, ending up with 3 steamed tutu kuih with coarse crumbs ( which was only fit to be consumed by the incorrigible cook )

Still, diligence won, if rarely, and the rest of the tutus were cooked with finely sieved moist flour. For novices like me, it would be better to reduce the amount of water ( starting from 100 ml ). Also, waiting  for the flour to dry out a little before pressing through the sieve will help reduce the sieving process.

Ps. If there is any deviance  from the quality of photos, that is because my residence photographers are too busy to take/ process  pictures ( which they like them taken raw ). But like any instant food or photos, my point and shoot offers instant gratification, if you ignore the less than perfect picture quality.

Ingredients :

Kuih: 
2 cups of rice flour 
120 ml ( adjustable ) water dissolved with a generous pinch of  fine salt
6 pandan leaves  

Filling: 
1/2 cup of desiccated coconut with 1/2 tsp of salt
150 g gula melaka, grated

Serving :
Pandan leaves strips, microwaved 30 sec and cooled

Method
On a big wok, dry fry rice flour with pandan leaves over medium high heat, 3-4 minutes. Discard leaves and cool the flour. 

Microwave the coconut and salt, 1 minute. Cool well before combining grated gula melaka.

Drizzle water evenly over the roasted flour, stirring with a fork. The flour should just be moistened and not soggy, forming big crumbs.

Press the crumbs through a sieve, with the back of a ladle. It  should yield a fine crumb  texture. For ease , do in very small batches.

Spoon rice crumble into the mould. Add 1 tsp of gula melaka-coconut mix. Do not allow the gula to touch the base of the mould.

Top with another spoon of rice crumbs. Press gently with palm for a smooth finish.

Steam , 15 minutes, with a cloth cover.


23 comments:

  1. Looks good! I always thought kuih tutu cannot be done at home. Seems like it is possible! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. First time I saw this recipe. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MnYfoodtalk,
    It's yummy. You should give it a go ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i did tried your kuih tutu came out a disaster. can you tell more about your recipe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi anon, maybe you can tell me what the disaster was ? Everything that I did was posted above.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi, i tried this recipe, turned out nice looking but its very dry...i suspect cos i didnt use coconut for the filling, only palm sugar...will try to increase the water used next time :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alice, I'm not sure if the lack of coconut is a problem but this thing is best when fresh. I kept some for 6 hours and it turns out dry. To refresh, I mist it with water and steam for 2 minutes. Did wonders.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh ok, will try the tips when I make again, tq :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, i tried to make the kueh tutu last weekend but unsuccessful, may i know what kind of rice flour you use?? It came out a bit yellowish and hard tho... :((

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is plain rice flour, not glutinous rice flour. Costs about $1.00 for a small bag. I've not encountered my tutus turning out yellowish, so I'm not sure why. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  11. HI!

    Actually i tried it with plain rice flour, i made it and the texture of the tutu is quite similar to selling type. When i steam it, it came out to be flour but not the tste of tutu..anything you can suggest? =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's plain rice flour that you should use. You fry the rice flour with pandan leaves ( see above ) and then leave it to cool ( so that it is completely cooked and dry ) before using it .

    From my procedures, there's 2 steps to the rice flour :

    dry fry with pandan, steam with filling as end product.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just bought everything i need to make kuih tutu but when i looked at the recipe again, i'm not able to start. Can you tell me 2 cups of rice flour is equivalent to ?gm of flour?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Justina, 1 cup of rice flour would be about 90g. I scope it from the rice flour bag, which somehow compacts the flour a little. It will be slightly less than 90g if you scoop into the cup with a ladle because it loosens up the flour a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi again, i just made my third batch today and i definitely know what you went through! i mean, pushing through the crumb to sieve it. It really tiring! I took too long for that process and my son ask me very 5 mins 'can eat now!?'

      anyway, before i really read your reply, i asked Li Shuan and she mentioned one cup = 125g. Will let you know the outcome. :)

      Delete
    2. thanks, i think we share the same sort of perseverance. when our kid love certain food, we will take all means to make it.

      at least now we know why kueh tutu seller priced them high! the water portion of 125g per 80ml of water came out fine.

      i'm also impressed with your photography skills. my kueh photo didn't come out quite nice...so shy to show you! but if you would like to see it..then pls provide me your email through my website :)

      Delete
  15. Hi Justina,

    I am very impressed by your perseverance. Tutu is tiring job but after reading your comments, I am thing of making this snack again. Please let me know how your tutu turns out. All the best !

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi there! Came across your site and tried this recipe. Using a small saucer, the kind used for putting cut chillies in hawker noodles, the tutu came out kinda dry but edible. Water used is 150ml. So any idea what went wrong??

    ReplyDelete
  17. You may like to try steaming it longer. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi! I tired making this according to the recipe but then my tutu kueh taste like just eating flour from the raw bag of flour. >< Do you have any idea what went wrong?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like your flour needs to be cooked a little longer before it is used . To test it, try licking some of the cooked flour after dry frying. Extend and adjust the frying time if it still tastes 'raw'.

      Delete
  19. Hi! Does the dry fry results in slight brown colour means it's cooked, it wasn't brown though? My flour after adding water, maybe i added too fast becomes clumps. After sieving & steaming, it becomes powdery & 'raw'. It doesn't yield the flavour of the Tutu cake? Can advise please? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dry fry to cook not brown the flour. Adding water is the tricky part. Do it slowly. ( yes, this is the difficult part )

      Fried enough and steamed , the end product should not taste raw. If this is difficult, go to the Indian shop and get putu mayam powder. Then just follow the instructions. They are semi cooked already so no frying is needed.

      Delete