Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Of Japanese curry and curry cubes



Sweet curry is serious food

There is always a first in everything, even when the year is coming to an end. Such as making Japanese curry.

A friend in England has run out of her  Japanese curry stash and I am  going  over to replenish her stocks. The  poor woman must have been  deprived  for a while, for she could not provide any details ,  other that it comes in cubes.

Curry, I know. In pastes and powders, yes, but cubes ? Eh ?

I swept  off a couple of boxes from Cold Storage, hotness ranging from mild to very hot . And to my dismay, they come in blister packs, not cubes. I had unwittingly  landed myself with a year's supply of curry.

Meanwhile   the search for curry cubes will  continue until I leave for England.

If there is any good that came out of this, it would be that I made my first ever Japanese curry. Best of all, my daughter and I absolutely loved it !  Hubby prefers macho Indian hot but girly sweet curry is the new thing for us girls.

Thanks to my friend, I am now acquainted with a new ingredient. If anybody out there knows where I can get Japanese curry that comes in real cubes, do drop me a note.

Meanwhile, here's what I did that transformed my curry outlook :


Japanese curry for 2.

1 T oil
2 cups chicken breasts, cubed
1 T onions, shredded
1 carrot, cut to wedges
1/2 smallish pumpkin, deseeded and cut to chunks
1.5 cups water
2 curry blisters

Heat oil. Fry onions until softened.
Lightly brown chicken.
Add vegetables and fry.
Add water. Simmer for 20 minutes.
Turn off heat.
Add curry blisters / cubes.
Turn on heat again and stir for 5 minutes.
Serve immediately, with white rice. Avoid letting the curry stand for too long or  it will congeal and the texture will be unappetizing.

1 comment:

  1. For me, I will add more chilli:D I am not sure if I can get Japanese curry cubes here

    ReplyDelete