Search This Blog

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Pork Floss Cake Sandwich



Mum was never an enthusiastic cook. Festive foods such as dumplings, Madeline and love letters were made out of ( festive )  need and she was always happy to let my dad take over the reigns in the kitchen.

She would celebrate all kinds of rituals  with her steamed cake, which doubled up as offering and joss stick stand . Other than having it freshly made for breakfast, I dread having to eat 'recycled' steamed cakes with remnant specks of ashes.
My avatar,Mr G, has acquired a taste for pork floss cake
Now to the soul of this cake. Pork floss was a childhood lunch condiment which I loved very much. I would find every opportunity to eat it -  in my toast, rice, buns, porridge and  now, my cake as well. By combining the memories and favorites of childhood, what I have here is a pork floss cake sandwich that reminds of  snack and lunch. The combination of sweet and savory reduces the cloying feeling  and allows  me to pig out as much as I can. 

Ingredients :

3 small eggs
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
70g fine sugar ( 65g if you like it subtle )
1 .5 T fresh milk
1 T condensed milk
100g cake flour

1/2 cup pork floss, more if you wish
2 T black sesame , finely grounded

Prepare a steamer and an aluminum tray, 5 x5 x 2 inches.

In a big mixing bowl, whisk egg, baking powder,sugar,milk until thick and frothy.

Sieve cake flour over the egg mixture and whisk until well combined. Rid big pockets of air by tapping the bow of batter on the worktop.

Divide batter to 2 equal portions. Over the second portion, sieve sesame powder into batter and mix well. Set aside.

Pour the first portion  of the batter ( without sesame ) into the steaming tray. Steam for 15 minutes.

Spread pork floss over the steamed cake evenly.

Pour the second portion of batter ( with sesame powder ) over the pork floss. Steam for 20 minutes.

Cool completely before removing and cutting the cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment