Search This Blog

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Citrus Yogurt Muffin


Muffin in a cup

Whenever I encounter similar products, I am prone to opt for  those that are Singapore made. It supports our own industry and allows our senior citizens, who make up a fair portion of the labor market, to be employed. It also reduces food miles and helps sustains our cottage industries. 

OK, I'm feeling a little patriotic, because our national day is drawing near. But seriously, if our food standards are good enough, I would say : Buy Singapore.

What got me started was a tub of thick yogurt , Singapore produced , from the Indian mama shop. It was too thick for snacking but was a brilliant substitute for butter. This zesty lemon and yogurt  muffins in less than 30 minutes  was a non event, most suitable when you are baking at 10 pm in the night.

Verdict : as with most yogurt and oil based recipes , this is one moist, fluffy muffin. The crust locks in the moisture and the zest has a perk-me-up effect. Should I bake this again, I will increase the sweetness level for wider appeal.

Makes 5 medium muffins.

Dry ingredients :
100 g plain flour
1 Tbsp lemon zest ( 2 Tbsp would be even better )
50g caster sugar ( recommended 80g )
1 tsp baking powder
Pinch of sea salt

Wet ingredients :
50ml canola oil
100ml plain thick yogurt
1 egg, lightly beaten

Preheat oven to 200C

Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl, whisk and set aside.

In  a mixing bowl, add oil, yogurt and egg. Whisk until combined, 30 sec.

Tip : use a measuring cup to measure out the oil before using it for measuring out the yogurt. This way , the yogurt will slide easily  into the mixing bowl.

Transfer batter to 5 medium cups. Bake at  200C preheated oven  for 20 minutes.

Dust with confectioner's sugar before serving.

15 comments:

  1. I love dome shaped. So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love the milky, tangy taste of the muffin - made my second batch in a week.

      Delete
  2. Your muffins certainly has the yummy factor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yogurt in muffins... must be very soft and nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, the muffin is very soft even after one day. I like this recipe because it does not have baking soda, which gives it a soapy taste.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I'm going to try this next week but do I double the amount of each Ingredient if I want to make 10 muffins? 5 muffins are not enough in my family :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you double the amount of ingredients for 10 cups but keep baking time the same. Happy baking!

      Delete
    2. Oh? Including the baking powder? Ok, i can't wait to try it. Thanks for the quick advice :)

      Delete
    3. You are right, everything in proportion. Baking time remains the same old because the volume per cup is the same. Remember to space out the cups so that each cup gets baked evenly. Test the cakes furthest away from the heating element with skewer to ensure all cakes are baked.

      Delete
    4. The muffins taste soooooo delish! Thanks for the great recipe!

      Delete
    5. I'm so happy it worked out and you like it. Hope you had fun making it :)

      Delete
  6. These muffins look great and I like the crust....yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The crust was the reason I baked it at least twice. How I wish the muffin is all crust, which is the yummiest part!

      Delete
  7. I baked something similar today - oil and yoghurt based. I know now what you mean by it being moist! http://extravirginchef.blogspot.sg/2012/08/banana-yoghurt-coconut-cupcakes.html

    ReplyDelete