Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Vietnam Style Grilled Fish


The skin of the golden promfet is thick enough to steam the fish while it is under the grill.
I have taken a liking to lemon grass lately. The aroma of the herb is calming and the tender parts of the grass provides an succulent crunch similar to artichokes.

This Vietnamese themed fish dish is an inspired and tamer version of the  much touted Hanoian Cha ca la vong .  Here I have substituted turmeric  with old ginger root and  lemon grass for dill.

Though I have yet to sink my teeth into the real McCoy , this preliminary version pleases me enough to warrant a rerun.

Ingredients :
1 promfet, cleaned
2 stalks of lemon grass ( tender white part, tough outer coat removed )
Ginger root
1 olive Sunflower oil
1 Tsp Vietnamese fish sauce
Lime

Dipping sauce :
Vietnamese fish sauce
Lime
Cut chilli

Method :
Thinly slice the white part of the lemon grass. Do the same for the ginger root.
Sprinkle an oiled grilling plate with lemon grass and ginger.
Place the fish on the plate.
Sprinkle the surface of the fish with some more lemon grass and ginger.
Drizzle fish sauce and oil.
Grill the fish until thoroughly cooked, for about 10-15 minutes.
To serve, squeeze lime over the fish.
Garnish with cut chilli and basil if desired.

6 comments:

  1. i also like putting lemongrass in any kind of dishes..in fact, i am planning to steam fish with lemongrass too, hehehe..

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wise decision to use lemongrass over dill! I love the aroma of lemongrass. You are seriously getting into the mood for Vietnam cuisine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. heehee, I am mentally preparing for Vietnam through my stomach :->

      Delete
  3. I like the calming fragrance of lemongrass too and your lemongrass infused fish looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind comments. Try chilled lemongrass infused drink with a touch of honey for a perk-me-up. yum!

      Delete