Search This Blog

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Vietnam style pork kebabs


As I plan my upcoming trip to border town Sapa,  north Vietnam  and within a stone's throw from China,  my host there  has already promised us a sumptuous meal  at his B&B. It will be 2 long months of waiting as I continue to hear praises  from those who sampled his mum's fare.

Meanwhile, my little kitchen has started to experience a mini revolution as it churns out the flavors of Vietnam.  Following the happy outcome of the Vietnamese beef noodles,  I have come out with a kebab that bears the essential flavors of Vietnamese cuisine : lemon grass, herbs and  fish sauce.

My verdict? If the home version is this good, I can't wait to eat my way through Vietnam!


For 4.

360g minced pork
1 handful of dried bread crumbs
Dash of fish sauce
White pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp grated ginger ( which I forgot in the end )
1 tsp chilli flakes
1 Tbsp finely chopped parsley
1 tsp finely sliced lemon grass ( white part )

4 sticks of lemon grass ( stalk ) as skewers,  halved longitudinally

Method :
Mix  all the mentioned ingredients.
Let it rest for 30 minutes for the flavors to infuse.
Make out 4 portions of meat.
Wrap the meat on the lemon grass skewers.
Put it under a grill and cook evenly until clear juices, about 15 minutes .

Dip in sauce of Thai/Viet fish sauce with lime and chilli flakes.

6 comments:

  1. Eh, I like this one! I guess I can use satay sticks? Have a bunch of these in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. The lemon grass went limp after grilling, btw. If I have it chinese themed, I will wrap meat around the dangshen that I overstocked, though it would be a bit wasteful.

      Delete
  2. I had this (or something similar) during my last trip to Hue, Central Vietnam. The meat skewers were wrapped and eaten with fresh vegetables, herb leaves and rice paper. It was the cheapest and yet the most delicious meal I had during the trip.

    I had a post on this:

    http://chefandsommelier.blogspot.sg/2012/07/central-vietnam-trip-part-viii-best.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      Your pictures are killing me. Why isn't December here yet?

      Delete
  3. Go eat yourself silly. I love Vietnamese food and hope to learn authentic ones to impart to my little one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait! First , I need to lose some weight so as to regain them in Vietnam.

      Delete