- To make mung bean paste, steam beans , transfer to a plastic bag.
- Mash beans by rolling over the bag with a rolling pin.
- Add sugar and coconut.
- Fry beans, sugar and coconut mixture to melt sugar. Cool.
- Portion out 11 equal balls, roll in rice flour and chill , covered.
- In a big mixing bowl, combine flours, baking powder. Set aside.
- Make sugar syrup with water and sugar. Cool.
- Add syrup to dough, stirring to incorporate flours and syrup.
- Add potato pulp, oil to flour batter. Knead till smooth. It should end up with playdough like texture.
- Portion out 11 balls of dough.
- On a lightly floured worktop, lightly dust with flour. Make discs from the balls by flattening it with the palm.
- Fill dough balls with mung bean paste. Seal to encase paste.
- Roll ball in sesame seeds.
- Fry for 10minutes, about 175 C, until it floats.
- Eat fresh.
|Chewy and Crispy in every mouthball|
This Vietnamese street snack , Banh Ran, is a close cousin to the Cantonese 煎堆 ( fried ball ). The China folks in People's Park christian it 黄豆球 , aka mungbean balls.
Whatever name it takes, it suggests a chewy, crispy deep fried glutinous rice ball pockmarked with sesame seeds encasing the goodness of mung bean and sometimes, coconut.
Vietnamese versions come with a bit of potato in the dough to break the toughness of an otherwise 00% glutinous ball. I have taken the artistic license to add purple sweet potato instead and substituted coconut cream for the grated version. To match the purple tinge, I rolled the ball in black sesame seeds instead of the usual white ones before frying. Frankly speaking, I have yet to try authentic Banh Ran in Vietnam but I dare say this version grows on me pretty quickly!
I have tweaked down the sugar by half but should you wish for a sugar rush, push up the amount of sugar by 100%.
Makes 11 balls.
Mung bean paste ingredients:
100g mung bean , 50g sugar, 1 tsp oil,50g coconut pulp ( I use 40g coconut cream )
Main dough ingredients:
40g potato, steamed,mashed,pureed ( I use purple sweet potato )
225g glutinous rice flr
50g rice flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 Tsp oil
Black Sesame seeds, toasted