Search This Blog

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Apple crumble cupcakes and a surprise present



Apple Crumble Cupcake 

Apple crumble has always been my favorite, especially those sold at Café Gallilee outlets at the National Library.  In fact, I am fine with  any fruit sort of tarts and cakes as long as they leave my crumble alone.

Of late, Café Gallilee’s range of nibbles have whittled down to the few predictable cheesecakes. Worse of all, they have stopped stocking my favorite apple crumble altogether.

To resolve this problem, I have decided to make them myself. Though   not exactly the classic crumbly apple pie,  this version is great because it is rather ‘ crumb free’ and good for eating in the car ( gasp ! ) , which is what my girl does when we send her to school.

The other reason for this recipe is because it is a celebration of sorts. My Windows based netbook has breathed its last and unbeknown to me, hubby has harnessed the power of the internet and given me a surprise gift without leaving the house. Admittedly, a MacBook Air is a lot of getting used to but I believe it is nothing that this  hardcore ex-Windows user and retired engineer could not handle.  Even at my age, I can still be at a loss for words receiving a gift like this - it is not the most romantic present but logging recipes is what I love and it could not come at a better time.

Apple crumble is not exactly hubby’s first love but the addition of nuggets of Nutella will, hopefully, make him look at this cupcake favorably. This,  is my way of saying thanks for indulging in me.

Makes 8 small cupcakes or 4 big ones.

Credits : Inspired by dailydelicious



Crumble toppings :
35g walnuts, crushed and chopped to crumb consistently
20g plain flour
25g brown sugar
pinch of sea salt flakes
30g butter, softened

Cupcake :
45g butter, softened
30g brown sugar ( 50g or more recommended for a sweeter version )
1 egg
1 T hot chocolate pudding powder
½ T baking powder
90g plain flour
25g raisins
1 apple, fine cubes

Nutella spread

Method :
To prepare the crumble :
Combine all the ingredients ( under crumble) and mix well.
Set aside.

To prepare the cupcake :
Preheat oven to 160C.
Combine chocolate powder, baking powder and flour.  Sieve and set aside.
In a mixing bowl, whisk butter and sugar until fluffy. Add egg. Whisk again until fluffy.
Sieve in flours again. Whisk until just combined.
Stir in raisins and apple cubes.

Prepare  a tray with 8 small cupcake holders / 4 big cupcake holders.
Using an ice cream scoop, scoop the cupcake dough to the cupcake holder. This is your first layer.
Spoon a tiny teaspoon of Nutella over the dough. This is your second layer.
Using the ice cream scoop again, scoop the crumble over the Nutella. This is your final layer.

Note : the crumble must cover the Nutella spread or it may scorch  during baking.

Bake at 160 C for 25 minutes or until the skewer comes out clean.
Remove immediately to cool over a rack. Do not overbake.

If you are baking 4 big cupcakes instead, bake at 160C for 30 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure your hubby would love the apple crumble!

    I made the switch from Windows to Mac few years ago and never looked back! Enjoy your new toy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this cupcake, apple crumble i will eat even on its own :P

    ReplyDelete