Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Jajiangmyeon in soy milk and bonito broth

Pardon me for the camera quality picture. The fancy ones are waiting to be processed.
Noodles up close.

Licking good

This is a ‘rack and stack’ sort of meal ( in Engineering speak ) for a lazy Saturday lunch when it is too hot to venture out for lunch and cooking up a storm is unthinkable.

This concoction is so eye rolling good that I had an encore performance barely less than a week after the first attempt. The dish came about because I was looking for ways to consume my unsweetened soy milk. It is not my family’s favorite precisely because it is unsweetened but when combined with the bonito broth and spicy meat sauce, everything is forgotten and forgiven!

The presence of soy milk makes a lot of difference to the outcome.  The noodles become moist and ‘silky’ and the bonito gives it a sophisticated overtone. It is the best of Sino and Japanese concept in a single bowl.

Ingredients :

3 cloves garlic, minced
300g minced pork
1 can of spicy mushroom and chilli paste
2 T Chinese wine
2 T sesame oil
½ cup water

3 cups of soy milk , unsweetened added with 1 cup of bonito broth

3 portions of spinach noodles
3 cups of bean sprouts

garnish :
scallions, fried onions, cut chilli

method :

heat a tablespoon of oil in a pot.
Brown the garlic.
Add pork and brown.
Add chilli paste, oil, wine and then water.
Combine well.
Cook until bubbling.
Reserve.

In a big pot, bring water to a rolling boil.
Cook noodles according to instructions.
Just 1 minute before removing the noodles, add bean sprouts into the water.
Drain contents.

To assemble, portion out noodles to 3 bowls.
Ladle soy broth on the noodles.
Top with minced meat sauce.
Garnish with scallions, spring onions and red chillis.
Wait for the noodles to soak up the broth, 1 minute.




9 comments:

  1. Soya milk in noodle soup sounds very strange to me but I am very convinced by your review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree with PH... something different but yet I'm convinced. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phong Hong and Chef,
    I was surprised myself. Most days, my mix and match are not that successful. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soya milk in savoury? errr.... You are adventurous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. soya milk in noodle soup... never try before but I found the pic and I saw something delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! Hubby said the same thing and got me worried. Until we sink our teeth into it !

      Delete
  6. agree with Phong Hong too, am convinced by your review - shall try it out soon when I have extra soy milk :)

    ReplyDelete