|Crunchiest mooncake ever, inside and out|
This mooncake lookalike is more a cheese and nut pastry with the traditional lotus paste. I think it is more a kitchen sink mooncake because I was determined to use up all the nuts and seeds in the pantry since my Florentine interest waned. But for my friends whom I am giving these away, I am not telling.
Makes 10 medium pastry mooncakes
120g butter, unsalted
40g fine sugar
2 Tbsp whipping cream
1 Tbsp milk
180g plain flour
1 Tbsp corn flour
3 Tbsp parmesan cheese, grated
2 cups toasted sunflower seeds
2 cups almond slivers
10 lotus balls, 35g each, rolled in the toasted sunflower seeds
- Whisk butter, sugar, cream and milk until pale.
- Whisk in flours and cheese.
- Chill for 30 minutes.
- Make out 10 portion of the dough, about 40-45g each. Use a floured hand for easy handling.
- Wrap the prepared lotus ball with the dough.
- Roll the dough in the almond slivers.
- Sprinkle the dough with more cheese.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180C for 20-30 minutes.