Search This Blog

Saturday, October 21, 2017

Pumpkin pie using coconut milk



Can't resist mentioning that the pie pan was bought in a hardware store at Isle of Wight!



I was congratulating myself for coming upon this recipe and reading the first 20 reviews in order to see what worked and what didn’t. The only problem was I did not check if I had exactly all the ingredients mentioned.

And since the mess in the kitchen has been done, all I could do was to go ahead and use substitutes. It was unimaginable that wholemeal flour can make such crispy crust and that coconut milk pairs seamlessly with pumpkin. There was no need for more sugar as the sweetness of the pumpkin is more superior than that of white sugar. I won't dwell too much on how I emptied a container of cinnamon powder and had to scoop most of it away because I wasn’t looking.

This has got to be the most easy pie crust ever, suitable for savory and sweet pies. Hubby liked it so much that he declared that from now on, all pies whether sweet or savory will use this recipe.

From prep to baking it only took 30 minutes just in time for me to have the weekly Skype session with my little one.

No more rubbing method or  using the processor to mix stuff and having to wash all the greasy parts. Just one mixing bowl and a paddle will do the job.

For 8

Credits : allrecipes with adaptations

Ingredients :

Crust : ( for 7 inch pan )

½ cup plain flour
1 cup wholemeal flour
½ cup canola oil
pinch sea salt
2 Tbsp milk

Preheat oven to 200C.

Combine all the above in a mixing bowl and mix until well combined and flour holds together when pinched. I combined these in a mixer using a paddle at the lowest speed.

Pat the dough firmly on the base and sides of the pan. Poke the base with a fork if your pan does not come with ‘breathing holes’.

Bake at 200C for 15 minutes.

Filling:

300g pumpkin flesh
200g thick coconut milk
2 eggs
1 Tbsp cinnamon
1 pinch nutmeg
1 pinch salt

Combine all of the above and mix on the lowest speed using a paddle until well combined.

Pour the pumpkin filling in the prepared shell.

Bake at 200C for 13 minutes.

Bake at 180C for 35 minutes.

Cool, remove the pumpkin from the pan and serve warm.


4 comments:

  1. That sound delicious! Pumpkin and coconut milk is awesome. Bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 30 minutes of prep is all you need. Let me know how it turns out.

      Delete
  2. May I know how you prepare the pumpkin? Steam it or grate it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I microwave the pumpkin until all parts are soft. I discard the stringy bits and seeds and use the flesh only. Little effort and not much to clean. Hope this helps!

      Delete