Search This Blog

Friday, June 12, 2009

Steak sandwich



I have given up making steak on my gas cooker since it was slightly better than a Bunsen burner. But when my pan , heated on my brand new induction cooker, melted the acrylic chopping board, a light bulb lit in my head and this sign was interpreted as another go to try 2009's first home made steak using my newest kitchen gadget. The result was so surprising good I couldn't help snitching the meat as I prepare them. Ho ho!

Ingredients :
Ribeye steak ( allocate about 100 g of meat per person )
2 cloves Minced garlic

Onion relish :
2 big onions , thinly sliced
Balsamic vinegar
1 T sugar


Season steak with minced garlic and keep chilled until ready to cook. Heat a frying pan ( in my case I use a pot to minimize oil splatter ) with 2 T of olive oil. Sear steak on heated pan for 2 minutes. Cook the other side, sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper. Use a wooden chopstick to poke the middle of the cooking meat to check for doneness. The meat is ready when it has a similar firmness as the part between the finger and thumb of your clenched fish.

Remove steak from the pan and let the meat rest to retain its juice.

Meanwhile, add another tablespoon of oil and sauté the onions until it turns limp and translucent. Caramelize it with a tablespoon of sugar and generous splash of balsamic vinegar, taking care not to burn your hand from the sudden plume of steam. Onion relish is ready when it is dry and sticky.

Slice the steak thinly across the grain.

Prepare 2 slices of bread and brush generously with olive oil. Place onion relish, steak and top it with another slice of bread. My folks requested edam cheese and though the combination is unusual, the sandwich is attacked with gusto and smacking lips.

P.S. the white sliver peeking out of the steak is super thin cucumber for added crunch. It was redundant really,as the meat and relish were the highlight of the meal and a third texture confuses the palate a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment