Search This Blog

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Pumpkin cheddar cheese cup bun

After a couple of successes with Grace's recipes, I am more than raring to try the more quirky recipes. Pumpkin is one of those guilt free sugar substitutes and a must have for the occasional diet program. So  when I chance upon this recipe that makes use of pumpkin,  I was determined that breakfast tomorrow will not be some store-bought loaf.

A mini raid at Phoon Huat and I ended up with this super cute muffin cups which is the perfect vessel for the bun.  6 buns made out of the recipe is the ideal for a family of 3, and if I succeed in  feeding hubby with this for breakky and lunch, I will soon be able to move on to even  quirkier attempts.

My long sightedness is getting more pronounced,   aggravated by the dying laptop display , so I accidentally read Grace's 1 tsp of yeast and plonk in 1 tablespoon instead onto the flour mix. But hah! Her recipe is so robust a google-eyed person like me with such heinous mistake is still able to salvage the  buns. Kudos to you, Grace!

The following allows for 6 buns. Methods are adapted because, ahem, I simply can't follow instructions very well. My little girl concludes that the bun dough is neither sweet nor savoury enough, so for more punch, I will push the sugar slider a notch higher on my next try.

Recipe:
(A)
200g bread flour
60g plain flour
30g fine sugar ( vanilla scented )
1/4 tsp salt
1 sachet instant yeast, 11g
1 small egg, beaten
35g fresh milk
35g water ( not tap water )

(B)
65g pumpkin puree
20g unsalted butter

(C)
6 cubes of cheddar cheese, 20g each

Method:
   1. Knead  (A), (B) in a bread machine on dough mode. The process  takes in 1.5 hours.
    2. Meanwhile, nuke a wedge of  pumpkin in the microwave for 5 minutes. Retrieve, cool, scoop out flesh and mash. Set aside 65g.
    3. Divide the dough into 6 portions, using a knife. Make balls then flatten it.  Wrap with cheddar cheese. Shape  into  smooth balls.  Put in muffin cup, sealed end down.
    4. Proof dough for 30 minutes.
    5. Paint bun dome with milk. Cut  a cross at the top of each bun. Decorate with pumpkin seeds. Grate cheddar cheese over buns as well. Proof for another 10 minutes.
    6. Bake in a  preheated oven at 200C. Put buns in oven, reduce temperature  to 180 C and bake for 20 minutes or  until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment