Search This Blog

Friday, April 29, 2011

Apple cream cheese tart





Apples is one of my favourite convenience food. So when Giant Hypermart had the mega Fuji apple sale  recently, I decided to  jazz up my apple snack and turn it into one mean cream cheese apple tart. The mission became all the more urgent as some leftover cream cheese, hibernating in the fridge for the nth week, needed my immediate attention.

I omitted peeling the apples to give it extra bite, something my hubby would happily miss. Still, the choice is yours, peeled or unpeeled. Either way, it should find some fan at the dinner table.

My only regret is that I should have doubled the portion since my spring form cake is bigger than 9 inches, resulting in a rather thin cheese cake. If I have my way, I will further reduce the amount of sugar used with the apple by another 10% for a more subtle sweetness.

Verdict : the sweet pastry crust has just the right amount of crumbs which can hold court on its own, the  mildly sweet cream cheese is counter balanced by slightly crunchy apple with sporadic bursts of cinnamon. Finally to top if off, the walnuts provides  textural contrast to the creamy filling, all making it a joy to eat. The 3 of us polished off the tart in two days. It's terrible, I know, but we can’t help it!


Adapted from joyofbaking.com

Crust:
130 g all-purpose flour
30 g icing sugar
113 g cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces

Filling:
200 grams cream cheese, at room temperature
40 grams fine sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Topping:
40 g fine white sugar
2 g ground cinnamon
3 Fuji apples, sliced
2  tablespoons ground almond

Method :

Make the tart in this order.

Crust :
Oil a 9 inch spring form pan.
Mix flour and sugar in a bowl and transfer to a food processor. Pulse butter ,flour until it forms crumbs. Transfer to the spring form pan and pat down the crust mix. Chill pan and proceed to the next step.

Apple topping :
In a large bowl, mix sugar , ground almond and cinnamon. Set aside. Core apples and slice to small pieces. Toss  apples in the sugar cinnamon mix. Set aside until ready to use.

Cream cheese filling :
Pulse sugar, cream cheese, vanilla, egg until mixture appears homogenous.

Assembly :
Preheat oven to 230 C. retrieve the chilled spring form pan with crust. Pour cream cheese filling into the crust and level with a  spatula.  Gently put the apples topping on the cream cheese. Sprinkle with a couple of walnuts if desired.

Bake the tart for 10 minutes at 230 C and another 25 minutes at 200 C. retrieve tart and cool for 20 minutes. Chill tart overnight before serving .

1 comment:

  1. This recipe looks fantastic to me. I adore Fuji apples in and out of desserts, and the apple-cream cheese combination you've used really takes the cake (so to speak!). Lovely blog you have here, by the way! :)

    ReplyDelete