Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Wafuu spinach with bonito

This is not the typical Japanese side dish, but how I  envisioned a side dish accompanying  a Wafuu seafood pasta would look like.

Here, I do away with the usual sesame/tahini paste used in Japanese vegetable sides.  Instead, I experimented with sea flakes, my latest fad. Perhaps I should have included the flakes in the earlier part of the cooking process , to even out the saltiness. On the other hand, the sporadic jolts from the seasoning awakens the senses, which gave a start-stop sensation, and made me much aware of what I was eating .


Spinach, portion for 3
1/2 onion, sliced
1 T oil
1 handful bonito flakes
Tiny pinch sea flakes
Pinch sesame seeds, toasted

Wash and cut spinach , about 3 inches long.

In a frying pan, heat oil. Saute onions until caramelized.

Add  vegetables and stir fry on high heat. Sprinkle with 1 T of water.

When vegetables wilt,  turn off heat. Transfer to serving plate.

Sprinkle with sea flakes and sesame seeds.

Just before serving, garnish with bonito flakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment