Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Raisin cupcake with Milo oat crumble



Needs more butter to get crumble to stick to the top of the dome

I can’t decide if I like the crumble or the cupcake better. After all, the crumble delighted me with a muted sweetness and crunch from the walnuts but the cake has its own burst of chewy sweetness from the raisins. In this case I am fortunate to not have to choose, since I can eat both at the same time.

If only I have used a bigger cupcake liner, I would be able to have more so that I can make up my mind.

Verdict : The cupcake is moist when freshly consumed with a barely there sweetness. The crumble really does crumble due to the low butter content. For more clumpiness, more butter is advised.

Makes 6 cupcakes. Inspired by Sonia


Crumble :

20g instant oats
30g plain flour
20g almond meal
25g Milo
½ cup walnuts, finely chopped
30g butter ( 50g recommended )
optional : 20g brown sugar

Cake :

120g butter
40g sugar  ( 50g recommended )
2 eggs
½ tsp vanilla extract
110g cake flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp milk
50 g raisins

Method :

Preheat oven to  180C.

To make crumble , mix oats, flour, almond meal, milo , walnuts and butter until coarse crumbs.

Whisk butter and sugar until pale. Add eggs, one at a time and whisk at medium speed.

Fold in flour, alternating with milk. Do not over handle the mixture.

Finally stir in raisins.

Use an ice cream soup and spoon 1 big scoop of batter to the cupcake liner.

Top the cake with 1 Tbsp of crumble.

Bake at 180C for 20 minutes.




1 comment: