Search This Blog

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Handmade noodles using pasta machine ( Basic recipe )


It was a while since I last exercised the machine, the pasta machine, that is. The gadget had problems cutting the noodles properly and it took a bit of thorough cleaning before it is serviceable again.  

It was a gift from hubs on a random shopping day. I never knew how much I would love to have one until I have it ! No more unprofessional and uneven noodles anymore.

Now, it is homemade noodles anytime I want. The slowest part of the work was waiting for the dough to ‘rest’ but apart from it, it was playdough fun!

For 4.

Ingredients :

200g plain flour
50g wholemeal flour
100ml cold water
1 egg
1 Tbsp canola oil

( 1 cup wholemeal flour for flouring )

Method :

Sieve flours into a mixing bowl.
Combine water, egg and oil  in a beaker.
Gradually mix the wet component with the flour into it comes together.
Knead until the dough is smooth and not sticky, about 5 minutes.
Cover and rest the dough for 30 minutes.
Divide the dough to two portions.
Flatten the dough on a floured surface.
Feed the dough through the pasta machine, #2 and then #4 for thickness.
Lightly flour the elongated dough on both sides well so that it does not stick in the cutting grooves.
Cut the noodles to desired shape using the cutting side of the machine.

Note : The noodles stick together if they are not cooked immediately. I dry the noodles  on racks before cooking .

To cook, bring a big pot of lightly salted water to a rolling boil.
Scald the noodles for at most 30 seconds.

Transfer them to a bowl of ready broth and enjoy !

2 comments:

  1. So what was the final result from this noodle? I like the machine too but I hate the cleaning part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As in the dish? I used it for fish soup noodle. I find the cleaning rather therapeutic.

      Delete