Search This Blog

Monday, June 9, 2014

Hotteok

Last hotteok standing
I am ashamed that on my recent two-some trip to Seoul, I did not even attempt any traditional sweets. It was not entirely my fault; I was stuffed with good food throughout and when I was not, I was scaling some sort of mountain.

So when Jane’s blog showed pictures of Ajhummas flipping pancakes, it took me back to Gwangjang market where I had the feast of the year. Clearly I must have missed this, so I had it replicated in my kitchen.

After I sank my teeth into the first pancake, hot of the press, my eyes lit up. Goodness! How did I miss such an awesome snack? What is so special about the pancake is that though it looks tough and sturdy like those China onion pancakes, it was pillow soft and light when you sink your teeth in it. It was incredible when eaten hot, just off the pan or reheated under the grill.

Good thing I followed her prescribed portion; I had enough to feed quite a few people. Give the dough time to ferment so that it forms the most delicate scaffold for millions of pockets of air for lift and lightness.

Credits : Jane Chew , with adaptations

Makes 15.

Ingredients :

2 cups of plain flour
1 cup glutinous rice flour
2 Tbsp white sesame seeds, toasted
8g instant yeast
2 Tbsp fine sugar
pinch of sea salt flakes
1 Tbsp canola oil
1.5 cup low fat milk, room temperature

filling :
1 cup ground peanuts  + ½ cup icing sugar
2 Tbsp oil

Method :
In a mixing bowl, combine flours, seeds, yeast, sugar, salt.

Mix to combine.

Add oil and milk.

Stir with a spoon to form a shaggy mass.

Knead lightly until the mass comes together .  If it is too sticky to handle, sprinkle with plain flour and work the dough until it has the texture of soft marshmallow.( The dough was rather wet so 1 added 2 more small handfuls of plain flour to achieve this texture )

Leave dough  to rise until double in bulk, covered

Meanwhile, mix peanuts, icing sugar and oil. The filling should have the consistency of wet sand.

Pinch off a handful of dough. Roll on a lightly floured worktop until it forms a big disc.

Spoon 1 Tbsp of peanut to the middle of the disc.

Gather the edges of the dough and seal the bun. Pinch the gathers to secure the seal.

Flatten the bun until it is the size of your palm.

Leave the pancake to rise, 15 minutes.

Heat a non stick pan , lightly oiled.

On medium heat, carefully transfer the pancake to the pan.

Panfry on low heat until both sides are lightly seared and the surface forms a thin crust.

Eat fresh. To reheat leftovers, put it under a 2 way toaster / grill.

Enjoy!



3 comments:

  1. Sounds quite easy to make! I have got to get myself a new non-stick pan. The old one is damaged and not safe to use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My younger son would request to buy one whenever we passed by a hotteok stand be it at Insadong, Myeongdong or Jeju island. The best one we had was at Busan though ;) I have tried making these with those ready mixed pack too. You should try add in ground cinnamon with the peanut fillings, it will make it more authentic. We tried the mung bean pancakes in Gwangjang market, very delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cinnamon with peanut is interesting. Beats me how could I miss it.

      Delete