Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Kuih Kasturi




This snack could be found in most day markets decades ago but has been making a disappearing act in Singapore for the last couple of years. The difficulty is compounded by the fact that it is not easy to find a katuri that has a light batter which gives an addictive crunch.

The last time I had my ideal light as paper battered kasturi was from a stall in Tekka Market. Unfortunately, it was closed for good after the place underwent extensive upgrading.

Getting down to make it on my own allows me to appreciate the effort  that goes into making it. I have yet to grasp the magic ratio of water and flour for the batter and the ideal temperature of the beans before frying. In any case, I am halfway there to achieving it. While I locate the illusive hawker auntie who disappeared from Tekka, I am glad I have this recipe to tide me through.

Adapted from guaishushu

Ingredients :
Filling :
200g cooked unshelled mung bean, drained
70g freshly greated coconut
50g sugar
25g plain flour

batter :
70g rice flour
30g plain flour
1 small egg
110ml water
pinch of salt
pinch of turmeric

Method :
1.    Combine ingredients for filling in bowl 1.
2.    Combine ingredients for batter in bowl 2. The batter is of the right consistency when it can coat the back of a spoon.
3.    Compact and make balls out of the bean mixture.
4.    Flatten lightly. Freeze until firm, 30 minutes.
5.    Heat a pot of canola oil.
6.    Deftly dip the frozen mung bean cake into the batter and deep fry.
7.    Drain and serve warm.




2 comments:

  1. I don't think I have ever eaten this kuih kasturi before. But looking at the ingredients, I am pretty sure that I would love it as I love mung beans and coconut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. I always thought it is a Singapore and Malaysian snack.

      Delete