The reasons I don’t bake cookies lately :
1. I don’t have to feed the
cookie monster viola teacher for the next 2 months while H
has her A levels.
2. It makes one fat because one tends to overeat sweet,crunchy cookies.
3. Cookies are not main meals and definitely not part of the main diet.
The reason I baked these cookies :
1. We need something sweet to sooth exam nerves even if it is just one person out of 3 taking the As.
2. How many cookies can one eat to get fat if I make 30 cookies to be shared among the 3 of us? ( This is not a trick question )
3. Life is tough without cookies.
Adapted from : simplyrecipes
320g plain flour
1/4 tsp salt
½ tsp baking powder
200g unsalted butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
½ cup caster sugar
1 tbsp coffee granules
¾ semi sweetened dark chocolate bits
¾ cup chopped macadamia nuts
1. Preheat oven to 170C with rack.
2. Prepare trays, lined with greased parchment.
3. Combine flour, salt, baking powder. Set aside.
4. In a mixing bowl, cream butter.
5. Add sugar and whisk until fluffy.
6. Add eggs. Whisk.
7. Add coffee. Whisk.
8. Fold in chocolate bits.
9. In 3 portions, whisk in flour component.
10. Fold in chocolate and nuts.
11. Use an ice cream scoop and drop the dough onto the parchment.
12. Leave a space between cookies, about 2 finger-span.
13. Dip your fingers in flour then flatten the dough to about 1 cm thick.
14. Bake in the preheated oven at 170C for 15 minutes.
15. Reduce the temperature to 140C. bake for another 20 minutes.
16. Cool the cookies well before storing in an airtight container.