|Roti Mum on Steroids!|
This is an upgrade of the previous peanut butter bun. With the coconut filling , it is practically a Roti Mum on steroids ! There was a tight squeeze on the baking tray as I did not space the buns well which caused some ‘United Buns’ syndrome. Next time, I will remember to give the buns plenty of space to rise and not cut corners.
This recipe is very long, so take the bun to visualize each segment before embarking on the project.
Makes 10 buns
15g bread flour, 75 ml water
30 g egg
85 ml water
1. Whisk to combine the 15g flour and 75 ml water in a pot.
2. Cook over low heat, stirring continuously.
3. When the whisk makes lines on the mixture, remove the pot from the heat source. If using a thermometer, whisk and cook until it reaches 65C.
4. Leave to cool.
5. When cooled to room temperature, add 85g water, 30g of egg ( lightly beaten ).
6. Combine. Set aside.
Bread dough -
210g bread flour
56g cake flour
20g milk powder
42g caster sugar
1/8 tsp salt
6g instant yeast
20g unsalted butter, softened
1. Combine all the dry ingredients, minus butter.
2. Add final roux mixture.
3. Combine to bring the ingredients together.
4. Add butter.
5. Transfer the mixture to the bread machine.
6. Set to dough mode to knead and let the dough ferment, about 1.5 hr.
Coffee butter cookie topping –
50g softened butter
50g caster sugar
1 tbsp instant coffee granules
1 tbsp water
50g egg-lightly beaten.
50g cake flour.
1. Combine the above ingredients.
2. Whisk. Sift in 50g cake flour.
3. Whisk again.
4. Transfer the topping to a piping bag.
5. Chill until it is ready for use.
Coconut filling –
4 Tbsp palm sugar / gula melaka
2 cups shredded coconut
½ tsp salt
1. Melt 4 Tbsp ( or 1 tiny block ) of palm sugar.
2. Add 1 cup of shredded coconut and 1/2 tsp of salt.
3. Cook until the filling is well mixed.
4. Leave to cool.
Assembly of buns –
1. Preheat the oven to 180C.
2. Grease the baking tray and worktop.
3. Make out 10 equal portions of dough and coconut filling.
4. Flatten out the dough and fill it with the coconut filling. Lightly grease your hands if the dough is hard to handle.
5. Seal the bun , lightly pat the top of the bun with a floured hand and return it to the prepared tray to rest, 30 minutes. This helps the coffee piping to adhere to the surface later on.
6. Just before baking, pipe the coffee butter on the bun.
7. Bake in the preheated oven at 180C for 15 minutes.