Search This Blog

Thursday, February 25, 2016

No salt homemade arrowroot chips ( microwave )

 
'Artisanal' chips with uneven color!
I am not 'atas', just homemade
How can I get my hands on salt free ‘home made’ chips that does not cost an arm or a leg? The only brand I came across was costly and comes all the way from the US which is very far from home.

Just  when I was craving for something crispy, a couple of forgotten arrow root which I forgot to cook for the Chinese New Year reunion dinner appeared while I was cleaning out the fridge.

I peeled the teeny bulbs and sliced it using a mandolin. The chips dropped into the mandolin box containing water and vinegar. To reduce mess, I tossed the drained chips in a plastic bag of  canola oil  before microwaving the chips sliced from a single arrow root. Ooh lala! What took me so long ? I ate the crispy batch while it was barely cool and with hands yet washed, repeated the process with another 2 bulbs.

Moderation will have to wait.

For one ( without watching TV program )

Ingredients :

White vinegar ( I used rice vinegar )
Water to soak the chips
Mandolin
1 arrow root bulb
oil

Method :

Peel the bulb.
Soak in water with a dash of vinegar.
Drain after 1 minute ( I did not dab dry because I was in a hurry to eat it ! )
Toss the slices in a bag of oil.
Oil a microwaveable plate.
Place oily slices evenly on the plate.
Microwave for 2 minutes.
Check if it is brown. Microwave for another 1 – 2 minutes and then it blocks of 30 sec to achieve desired crispiness. Time varies with moisture, thickness of chips and oven.
Transfer the chips immediately to a plate lined with paper towel.
Let cool and enjoy immediately.

The possibilities are countless. Think lotus roots, sweet potatoes, yams, huai sun etc

2 comments:

  1. What a revelation! And surely one arrowroot bulb is not enough hee..hee...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha .. the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak ( when it comes to crispy food )

      Delete