Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Pandan chiffon ( Prima Premix )

Flood the pandan chiffon with morning light for added ambience 

I know, I know. It is not very legit right? I am embarrassed to use premix also – but I still have phobia of past chiffon failures that piled up in the dustbin, what to do ?  Even a shiny, new chiffon cake pan does not help.

Still, I did make some changes so that the recipe is not wholly Prima’s. Instead of water, I added coconut milk. For soya oil, I added 10% coconut butter. The recipe’s already so simple and it is not right to cheat all the way through.

This is a baby step and my first chiffon  so allow me to indulge in a little short cut. I promise to be good with my next chiffon, the full works and all.

Minus the very challenging unmolding of the cake, it was overall a positive experience!

Verdict : I am sure it is because of my ‘adulterated’ version. The cake is firm and cuts well, crumbs a little but not so pliable as to unmold using my hands. A thin knife will have to do the unmolding instead.

Ingredients :

8 inch chiffon pan with flute
Prima chiffon cake mix
7 eggs ( 60g each )
100ml thick coconut milk ( low fat )
50ml soya oil
10 ml coconut butter ( liquid at room temperature )

Method :


Combine oil and butter. Set aside.
Beat eggs for 2 minutes.
Add milk.
Whisk for 8 minutes until volume is tripled.
Sieve in flour, 3 batches, adding oil in between flours.
Bake at 170C ( Preheated ) for 45 minutes.
Remove from oven. Invert pan and cool until pan is cool to the touch.
Unmold using knife.

Keeps well without chilling for 1 day.

4 comments:

  1. There is no shame in using a cake premix. I mean, it's convenient, why not? I say coconut milk and coconut butter is better than water and soya oil. They give your pandan chiffon a lovely coconut aroma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed the coconut butter is a good partner to the pandan flavor.

      Delete
  2. Congrats on your successful attempt to bake your first chiffon!
    I made my very first batch of brownies using a box of premix. It tasted good and I will still use it if I ever need to bake something when I am away from home :)

    ReplyDelete