Search This Blog

Sunday, May 29, 2016

Fried beef udon

Looks meek but packs a punch
I am in countdown mode for my holiday and the last thing I want is to leave home with a fridge full of food. This recipe is essentially a pre-holiday meal which means anything useful in the fridge makes its way to our stomach.

For this dish, I use my treasure stash of beetroot udon ( it looked like any normal udon after boiling though ).  For the coming week, it will be my frozen meats and dry goods until we head for the airport.

I seldom fry noodles because I break them so much they become meetakmak. When HappyHomeBaking shared the tip of using wee amount of water to fry noodles to prevent them from sticking to the pot, my repertoire of dishes expanded by quite a bit.

Substitute chicken for beef and the effect is just as good. For me, I like the challenge of a tender beef in my stir fry. In the case of chicken, make sure the meat is thoroughly cooked because of the ever present risk of salmonella poisoning.

This recipe is low salt. Feel free to increase increase the amount of soy sauce to suit your taste. As for me, there’s nothing that a little dish of sambal chilli can’t do.

For 2.

Ingredients:

A)
2 cups of thinly sliced beef
1 Tbsp corn starch
1 Tbsp light soy sauce
2 Tbsp rice wine
1 Tbsp oyster sauce
1 Tbsp sesame oil
1 tsp sugar

B)
2 cloves of garlic, flattened
5 shitake, soaked and thinly sliced
100g of udon, boiled and cooled in cold water
2 cups thinly shredded cabbage

Method:
Marinate the beef with ingredients in A for 10 minutes.
Heat oil, just enough to cover the base of the pan.
Sear the beef until beef is about to turn from pink to brown.
Set aside.

With the same pan, fry garlic and shitake until garlic is translucent.
Add cabbage and fry until the cabbage turns jade green.
Add 1 Tbsp of water to create steam if the pan is dry
Add udon. Toss to mix.
Add 1 Tbsp of water to create steam.
Toss and refrain from stirring the udon.
Add beef. Toss again.
Cover for 2 minutes to let flavor infuse.
Serve hot with chilli.


No comments:

Post a Comment