Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Mini chicken puffs





I have given up  the idea of making pastry from scratch. It’s near impossible when the kitchen is a perpetual 30C, I have a very small counter top and a fridge that is overflowing on most days leaving no room for pastry making. Most importantly, I don’t have the patience for the whole pastry making process.


Today, for the first time in my baking life, I bought myself frozen puff pastry and endeavored to make my favorite chicken puff which has been costing me a little fortune to buy. The potato and carrot were from some abandoned cooking project so I put them  to good use.


After watching loads of videos on making puffs, I plucked up the courage to actually do it. It turned out pretty decent  and I am ,as the British say, pretty chuffed about the entire thing. Can’t be anymore pleased!


Makes 5 smallish yummy  puffs


Ingredientsw:


Puff pastry (thawed partially)

1 potato, 1 carrot both peeled and cut into small cubes

Half a chicken thigh, skinned and cut into small cubes

1 tablespoon of plain flour

Egg Wash



Method:

Prepare a baking tray. Line with silicon mat. Set aside.


In a pot, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil.

Fry the potato, carrot and chicken over medium heat until chicken is cooked and potato soft, about 15 mins.

Add chicken powder, salt and pepper to taste.

Do not drain the liquid in the pot.

Add flour. Stir to coat until mixture binds together.

Cool before use.


To make the puffs, use a big round cutter and cut out the partially thawed puff pastry.

Spoon the potato chicken filling onto the cut out pastry.

Transfer the filled pastry carefully to the baking tray. 


If you have a problem handling the soft pastry, cut out the circle and place it on the silicon mat before spooning the filling.


Fold the round pastry to make a semi circle, pressing the edges to seal.

With a skewer, pierce a couple of holes to vent the puff. This ensures the puff does not get soggy from steam.

Brush with egg wash.


Preheat the oven to 200C.

Bake the puffs for 22 mins. Puffs should look tanned.


Cool and enjoy!




 

No comments:

Post a Comment