Search This Blog

Monday, May 30, 2022

Gluten free pizza



My gf pizza base journey was not an easy one. I hung up my usual fail proof pizza when my gut became sick . In its place are recipes for gluten free ones. I met  a series of failures, with crunchy biscuit pizza that was the most baffling and hard to troubleshoot.


Now I realise 2 things; have enough xanthan gum and knead until the dough looks like whipped cream. It is very counterintuitive because with bread flour, you knead until it all comes together.


Now I am 3rd time lucky. No more grouchy “what the pizza” moment. It tastes like bread (though the kitchen doesn’t smell so strongly of it) with a robust but soft texture like good old fashioned pizza.


I think I am on the right track on my gluten free baking journey.


Credits: glutenfreeonashoestring with modifications.


Ingredients (Base):

420g gf all purpose flour

2 ¼ tsp xanthum gum

11g instant yeast

6g fine sugar

9g salt

1 ⅛ cup warm water

65g olive oil

Cooked pizza topping of your choice (I have mushroom, ham with ricotta, mozzarella, brie)


Method:

Combine flour, gum, yeast, sugar, salt,water, oil.

Knead until it looks like whipped cream. Scrap sides and fold to ensure even kneading, about 3 mins.

Let rise on the counter to 50% more in bulk. It took me 2 hrs.

Flour the worktop. Transfer the dough.

Dust, roll flat to slightly more than the size of pizza pan. 

Transfer the dough to the pan,

Trim edges.

Preheat oven to 200C while dough rests.

Slather with pesto paste.

Bake in the oven for 9 mins or until sides is firm and sauce bubbly.

Cool a little.

Add mozzarella, mushroom ham toppings, brie, ricotta in this order.

Bake for another 10 mins.

Remove to cool.

Cut to wedges. Serve warm.


No comments:

Post a Comment