Search This Blog

Thursday, June 12, 2014

Lotus ( Biscoff ) biscuit spread cake

Never try, never know - the spread is seriously addictive !


I have never been a fan of Lotus caramelized biscuit. Individually wrapped with no eye catching wrapper,  I regarded it as one of the most uninteresting biscuit. It is soft for dipping in coffee and too small to be a satisfying snack.

That is, until I ate it in its spread form. Compared to peanut butter, this spread is a different ball game altogether!

During the June break, my niece carted from London jars of Lotus biscuit spread to be given as gifts.  The spread has many overtones and nay, there is no lotus whatsoever in it.  I love it on crackers, toast and when I did not have enough of it, in cakes as well. Goodness, I could have used it as frosting even!

Each glass jar weighs 500g so I appreciate the kid’s effort to bring in those bottles. Perhaps, it is time to consider making a trip up to the UK and see what else is in store.  A holiday in the name of biscuit spread – how about that ?

( latest note : Cold Storage sells limited stocks of this under the Biscoff brand, priced at around $10 )

Makes a 9 inch cake.

Grease, flour 9 inch springform pan with removable base.

Bowl A:
Mix these and set aside :
2.5 cups cake flour
2 t baking powder
1 t soda
½ t salt

Bowl B:
Whisk in this order, 1 item at a time.
½ cup lotus
85 g butter
1 cup brown sugar. Whisk 5 minutes.
3 eggs, add one at a time.
1 cup buttermilk

Whisk A to B, in 3 portions, low speed until just combined.

Pour the batter to prepared tin. Bake 180C  for 35 min.



6 comments:

  1. That is so sweet of your niece. Me too, I have never been a fan of this biscuit. Now you got me thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not familiar with this Lotus spread. Wonder what it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is how it looks! Btw, I have almost finished the jar of spread. Naughty me!
      http://www.walmart.com/ip/Biscoff-Creamy-Spread-14-oz/19857695

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the link. I checked it out. Definitely not available over here :(

      Delete
  3. sounds interesting.. thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm now addicted to this stuff!!It makes me roll my eyes in wonderment!!!How can something taste so good?!

    ReplyDelete